Saturday, May 19, 2007

Earth Day Stamps Artist's Statement

Since I've posted the Earth Stamps I'm submitting to the County Fair on this blog and the real one on sun country living, I decided I could use my Artist's Statement as fodder for this blog.


Assignment

To design a single stamp or a series of postage stamps.

Software

Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop; Adobe Acrobat for final presentation.

Concept

With Earth Day on the horizon, I looked through my digitized analog art and chose some favorites. Each design illustrates an aspect of humanity’s stewardship of creation: a small wood frame house along the beach; young plants growing up strong out of healthy soil and into the sun; a city abounding with healthy trees and gleaming in the sunlight; laundry hung up to dry in the sunny air on the roofs of an inner-city apartment building.

Process

For each individual stamp, I started by opening the PDF stamp outline template in Illustrator; I then opened the palette of my favorite Pantone colors. In Photoshop I opened a jpeg or png of each image I’d selected, selected a small slice of the image and pasted it into a layer in my Illustrator file. For the denomination (55¢), USA and my domain name, suntreeriver dot com, I used the same font, Cooper Black, on all the stamps.

Although each image was a different size, to unify the group, I also included a gradient background.

Outcome

I created a series of four stamps in the dimensions of the template we received. Two are vertical, two horizontal. For final presentation, I copied and pasted all the stamps into a separate Illustrator document and then saved it out as a PDF.